v!be
relativity

relativity


We The People

I have been seeing the Editor grinning since morning and trying to put up a brave front while trying to fight his fury every time he sees a contributor to this Ezine. The reason being simple enough - none of us met the deadline. While I have provided him with all those trash excuses of "creativity can't operate under rigid constraints termed deadlines", I have this innate guilt conscience which has been troubling me since I overshot the deadline. But every time I tried to put that "creativity" thing into action, there was my boss whose favourite timepass is to remind me of the petty code I failed to produce in time (do I need to say that I am a software professional?) and how many people's work remains held up due to my inefficiency and finally ending the lecture with a note to show more interest.

Amidst such vastly common-to-all but nonetheless troubling times, even the full series of Edward De Bono's "creativity" stuff couldn't help me. Not that I bothered to read them. Well, On second thoughts, those books were gifted to me by the Editor himself. Was that an insinuation?

So now comes the daunting problem. With what junk am I supposed to fill in the following space?well, well...I have hit upon the problem!

Ever since I read about those reviews about "Swades" (the movie I mean) , I have been reeling under disappointment. And the reiteration from my respected Editor from our own Ezine provided the fatal blow. I somehow managed to check my strong yen to write a bitter comment(since we have that facility going!!!)...but I couldn't help myself from shooting a mail to the Editor (it was he who wrote that review!). So, couldn't this space be filled in with all those junk emails shot back and forth...while he tries to defend cinematic excellence and I take the seat of Ashutosh Gowariker's marketing freak! And to pacify my editor as to his argument regarding the gravity of a Ezine's column ( which is anticipated - the argument I mean!) - I have a point! "relativity" is supposed to be about human aspects - emotions, feelings, thoughts, opinions. This is just an opinion in case from a human - that I am! :-)

so, here goes the story:


Arundhoti:

w.r.t vibe's critique section, I must say that I particularly didn't like ur review for "swades"...its just a personal opinion but I am damned senti about that movie and watched it thrice spending 80 bucks each time at Kolkata's inox ...I also consider it as one of the best movies of my lifetime and the movie's "we the people" actually decides the "people we are"....so, coming from our webzine , that "drab unfilmi" thing u have penned down really killed me. A reviewer has a
lot of power to tilt opinions...its time we understood that responsibility. Anyways, I am fully aware that opinions differ...so, this is no criticism...just an honest opinion.

Ed:

as the journo says in page-3..."one has to reveal the truth, but there is a manner in which to do it." .... and swades as a cinematic venture lacks merit, more so coz it has made a hash of such a nice story- whts the use of the message if few go to see it.....

Arundhoti:

A nice quote to justify the " manner", is nothing but EASY! again personal opinion is where it boils down to ...and I believe that it was a wonderful cinematic venture where the cinema lingers on the mind even when the films are exhausted!...packing a nice story in 3hrs time is a tough job but done well...and the reason why few ppl go to see it has a contribution from the reviewers who emphasize on the "unfilmi" thing!;-)

Ed:

for one thing the movie takes an nri' s view of india who, confronted with misery for the first time, decides to help out...we Indian viewers come across all the poverty stuff, everyday, to the extent tht we hav become insensitive to it...the movie does nothing to raise "our" conscience...

Arundhoti:

that makes it even more sensitive...the realisation of our insensitivity!...raising "our" conscience is exactly what it does...well, for people who have a conscience nonetheless!!!:-) now if someone argues that we have lost our conscience, I wudn't go out to prove a point.

Ed:

throughout the film there is this lack of emotional involvement (except for the really sensitive people...which, sadly, most r not ) unlike in lagaan...

Arundhoti:

comparisons are absolutely uncalled for!

Ed:

for another, at the end of the movie, shahrukh doesnt come back to India just for the country's sake, he had a love interest......wht if gayatri hadnt been there? wud he hav returned?....at this point the movie's social work standpoint falls weak.

arundhoti:

well, u cud have missed this. But owing to that triple effort , there was specifically a dialogue dedicated to this doubt-where his frnd gives vent to the same doubt and where mohan bhargava vehemently ( that was emotional vehemence of course!) states that the love interest wasn't the only criterion to his decision. And well, if that interest was really solid ground he would have
maneuvered his caravan and come back filmi ishtyle!!!

Ed:

Moreover the events in the movie take the form of "he came...he saw and he conquered"...let someone try to change the social order (like shahrukh in the village ) in the real world and see how many hurdles he has to face...they will kill him and bury him!

Arundhoti:

here u r absolutely right...but then, that was commercial cinema ...not made to potray burial and failure ...but that honest intentions win in the end!

Ed:

yes...there are some scenes tht make a lasting impression....the open air film show for the villagers...the way they break their caste barriers and sing together under a starry sky...it IS one of the best scenes in moviemaking history..........
just wish the director had kept tht magic throughout the film....

Arundhoti:

its for the viewer to discover the magic...i found magic even in the scene where the guy sells water pots for 25 paise each!

Ed:

wish all such films tht fail to deliver their potential r remade sometime...

Arundhoti:

wish all the films which are so full of potential get their due praise sometime.



I wouldn't tell you how it ended. Well, not hits and blows of course. But then, i have kept my promise and filled in a lot of space. Whether this reaches my ardent readers depends on my Editor's discretion and yen to edit!


1 Comments:

At 12:26 AM, Anonymous my words said...

This isnt the current article i know. But i came upon this a little later than required. I must say that i am happy there is someone else who shares my viewpoint. I loved swades and hated that it sinked at the box office. I cant save that though. But can say without a doubt that it was a real nice movie and nice that you tried to say the same.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

goto top
Back Issues